Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Freedom of Speech Not Freedom to Vilify

I am a regular and avid reader of the Broward Politics Blog of the Sun-Sentinel. I read with great interests the opinions (this is a blog not a news story) of Brittany Wallman, Scott Wyman, and Anthony Mann. It seems they all have access to the real politics of Broward County and all the movers and shakers. The blog, as with any public blog attracts useful insight from readers such as George Q Public, Robert Walsh and Ray Dettman just to name a few.

Sadly the blog also attracts haters, that live to only vilify those who take the time to make civilized comments and the political system in general. Today I want to focus on two "haters" specifically. Their hate mongering and borderline libel. As one who takes the First Amendment seriously, I will defend the right of the Hate Mongers to spew their garbage, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

First on my list of the top ten is an anonymous blogger calling itself "Homo Agenda #15" This homophobic wing nut spews the worst kind of hate. He vilifies the entire Gay Community as predators and child molesters. He claims to be a "God fearing Christian". I too am a Christian, and I happen to be Gay. To HA#15, I implore you to read your bible again. Christ taught of Love, to assist your fellow man, to help those who are in a state of despair. Christ, not once in the New Testament, vilify, nor teach hate in any form including hate towards my Gay brothers and Sisters. I am a Gay Man. I do not seek to molest your children, I do not hang out in parks, I am not a predator, but an upstanding citizen, out to help my fellow citizens understand the process of government and to stand up when you feel that government is wrong. I encourage you to continue your hateful posts, but know most laugh at your outrageous comments. If you really feel that way, why don't you drop the nom de plume and post under your real name. Let everyone know the real ignorant person you are.

The second anonymous poster goes by the name "STFU". STFU has a bug up his ass against Robert Walsch. Now, I do not always agree with Mr. Walsch, but I do consider him a friend. Mr. Walsh cares deeply for the City of Fort Lauderdale and expresses his feeling in any forum available to him, including the Broward Politics Blog. My question to STFU is 'What has Robert Walsch done to you?' Do you disagree (obviously) with what Mr. Walsh has to say? Do you just dislike him as a person? Or are you just so admired of him, that you feel the need to vilify him? I commend Robert Walsch for the balls to speak and state his position on many of the issues facing not only Fort Lauderdale, but the World in general. Mr. Walsch stands up not under some hateful name, but as himself. To STFU (which I believe is more than one person), stop hiding under your nom de plume, and have the guts to post under your real name(s).

There are others, but these two have the distinction to stand out in my mind as the worst kind of blog commentator, chicken shit for hiding behind the ability to remain anonymous on the Broward Post. I do commend people like George Q Public, while using a anonymous moniker, will link his postings to his real blog site and his true persona.

Keep on posting, keep it anonymous if you must, but please keep it civil. WWMD (What Would Mom Do).

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Marc! Appealing to the reason and 'good nature' of some of the vulgar, hate-spewing people who frequent the Sun Sentinel blogs just doesn't work, I'm afraid. Other major news outlets such as the NY Times, LA Times, Washington Post, Detroit Free Press, the Economist, Forbes and many, many more have adopted a 'registration' requirement for those wishing to post to their blogs. Their anonymity is held secret by the media companies unless subpoenaed (and even after subpoena sometimes, as I understand it) and posters can continue to comment anonymously. Having to register a REAL name, however, has proven to reduce the slander, libel, untruths, hate and obscenities by quite a significant amount on these online forums. Since there is now significant online readership, I just don't see how it makes any sense for the Sun Sentinel to allow non-traceable comments and posts online when they REQUIRE a real name and verifiable contact info to print a letter to the editor or comment on their print version opinion pages. Guess I'll just have to build my own media company if I want to do it my way, eh?? :)

    Best wishes on the blogging and very much appreciate your involvement and commitment to the civic affairs of our city!

    ReplyDelete