Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Report Card

A recent report card on the web page of a loser in the 2009 Mayoral race gave Mayor Seiler and the entire City Commission (except Commissioner Rostrom) less than a passing grade. Earl Rynerson has been consistently critical of Mayor Seiler through his web page http://www.abetterftlauderdale.com . I have had my disagreements with the Mayor on a number of issues, I do not bash him verbally, nor will I bash him here in this blog. In the name of full disclosure, I consider Mayor Seiler to be a personal friend. Here is MY report card on the current Fort Lauderdale City Commission (FTLCC).

During the 2009 campaign, all the candidates promised a new age of transparency in regards to the business of Fort Lauderdale after 18 years of close to the chest government. The discussions from the podium have been intelligent and informative. I have found that each commissioner is easily approachable and willing to discuss any issue to which I have inquired. Any documents, letters and emails have been released (as required by the Sunshine Laws) without any hesitation. Each department head has also been very forthcoming with any information requested.

TRANSPARENCY: A+

This past year two very controversial issues were addressed by the FTLCC. The FPL 30 year contract and the extension of the employment contract of City Manager George Gretsas. I personally disagreed with the outcome of the votes on both of these issues. The FPL contract brought out the citizens in large numbers both in favor of the contract and against. I have to commend the Mayor for his respect and fairness of the speakers on both sides of this issue. After approximately 50+ speakers the FTLCC voted 5 to 1 (Commissioner Rodstrom voted Nay) to accept the contract. On this particular issue, I give the FTLCC a B-.

Concerning the contact extension of City Manager George Gretsas, again the Mayor as firm but fair when it came to the many speakers (most in favor) on this controversial issue. It has been said that if you have no detractors then you are not doing your job. The City Manager has many detractors, and though I do agree that the growth in the Reserve Fund was a result of the policies of the previous acting City Manager Alan Silva, the management of these policies has much to do with the leadership style of George Gretsas. After all that has been said and done the final out come was a 3 to 2 vote against the extension. Mr. Mayor, while I respect your leadership and neutrality on this issue, I do however disagree on your reasoning. You knew that the City Manager could never get three votes besides yours for the extension. You were the deciding vote against the extension. You have been both praised and vilified for your reasoning and final decision. On this particular issue, I give the FTLCC a C-.

CONTROVERSIAL ISSUES: B+

In speaking with constituents from all four Districts, I have found the same response. This has been the most accessible city commission in many years. I have yet to hear of any correspondence that has not been responded to either by telephone or written. Our Mayor and four Commissioners are approachable and from what I have seen have never given the "I have to run to another meeting can we discuss this some other time" excuse for not speaking with constituents. Our elected leaders are candid on their views and do not hesitate to let you know how they stand on any issue.

CONSTITUANT RESPONSE: A+

I live in Fort Lauderdale District Four, so I will address the performance of Commissioner Romney Rogers directly. In my fourteen years as a resident of Fort Lauderdale, I have never been really active, except for controversial issues, I have not been too involved in the goings on in city business. This past year that has changed. In the name of full disclosure, I did support and actively campaigned for Commissioner Rogers opponent. This will change should Commissioner Rogers run, and I hope he does, for re election. I attend Commissioner Rogers bi monthly pre agenda meetings. Commissioner Rogers shows he is knowledgeable on all the issues to be presented the next day. He is open to constituent input, and I have even seen him reverse his stance based on citizen input. I have had all my phone calls and e mails responded to, not by some aide, but by the Commissioner himself. You are doing a great job Commissioner Rogers.

COMMISSIONER ROGERS: A+

Overall this has been a productive and responsive Commission. The discussions from the dais have been both informative and civil. The tough questions are asked by each commissioner, and the responses by city staff has been upfront and honest. I have been at commission meeting that ended in the early hours of the morning. Never has any agenda item been tabled to the next meeting because the hour was late. This, in my opinion has been the most effective commission in many years.

OVERALL: B+

Why not and A? I feel the FTLCC failed the citizens when they voted to extend the FPL contract without seeking a better deal and green sustainability. There is much more hard work ahead of us, and we as citizens have a civic responsibility to remain informed and express our opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment