Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue

The Budget Advisory Board recently viewed a power point presentation from the Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue Division (FLFR). A power point can be informative, but can never truly reflect what really goes on in real life situations. Yesterday, I spent 5 hours riding along and witnessing first hand what our bravest face everyday. This was a real eye opener.

After signing my life away (always paperwork) I was introduced to Assistant Fire Chief Gregory May. First order of business was a slide down the fire pole. Clumsy me, it was not a graceful drop, but much fun. Off to the busy streets of Fort Lauderdale we headed. One of our first calls was to a bicycle vs motor vehicle. It seems a young Haitian boy of about 13 ran into the path of a car. The driver, though shaken up had sustained no injuries. The youth obviously upset, had minor injuries to his left arm. One obstacle that our Bravest face each day is the language barrier. This youth spoke little english and could not communicate his home phone number or address. Thankfully the Fort Lauderdale Police Service Aide spoke Creole. The FLFR has a diverse staff that speaks various languages to better serve the citizens and visitors to our great city.

Chief May and I spent most of the time running from call to call. One such call was to a local group residence for the Emotionally Challenged. One of the residents, a diabetic, complained of uncontrollable shaking. First assumption by myself was a low sugar level, which uncontrolled shaking is a major symptom. Turns out she actually had a bad blood infection and one of the Paramedics gave a name to a syndrome I do not remember.

The large "Box" trucks are actually rolling emergency rooms capable of treating the simplest of cuts, to major traumas and heart attacks. Advanced life savings techniques require a lot of resources, and particularly a lot of knowledge. The Fort Lauderdale Paramedics are by far the best of the best. Should you need their services, and I hope you do not, it is these men and women you want to come to your aide.

Dinnertime. Often while shopping at Publix, I run into my local ladder company as they shop for their meals. I always inquire as to what is for dinner and what time should I come by. Last night I had a great meal. We drove over to Ladder Company #49, by the beach, for supper. The sausage and peppers was cooked to perfection. I had two helpings. The members of #49 comprise part of our FLFR marine patrol. After dinner I was given a ride on the Fire Boat. As we toured the Middle River I was given an overview (understatement) of their responsibilities. This unit besides their dive team, are responsible for the fire safety of the multi million dollar yachts and homes. I even got to spray the water nozzle.

During the fire boat demonstration, one of the firefighter's regaled me with an awesome inspirational story. His wife, also a Fort Lauderdale Firefighter had most of her left leg amputated. This normally would be a career ending injury, not for this firefighter. She was determined to return to the duty she loved. After tough rehabilitation, and consultation with a physician dedicated to brining our wounded soldiers, mostly with amputations, back to full ability, this firefighter was scheduled to return sometime in mid October. I am inspired to say that she will be returning to duty sometime in June, a full four months ahead of schedule. The members of the FLFR are dedicated public servants.

As we were headed to another fire station, a call came in for a car crash just around the corner. We were the first on scene, and Chief May stepped out to asses the situation. Gratefully no one was seriously hurt. The responding fire company was #49. We had just left these fire fighter in their issued t shirts and slacks, but when they came off the truck, there were in full fire gear ready to face whatever the situation called for.

During my five hour ride along, I met some of the greatest and bravest people you can ever know. I even met the paramedics that had once transported me from city hall to Broward General.

Currently the FLFR are at what is known as "Minimum Staffing Levels" as required by national standards. Such staffing levels leads to a taxing situation on out brave men and women. As a strong advocate of ZERO CUTS in our public safety, I got a real lesson in our need for more staffing. When called these men and women of the Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue do not see color, race, sexual orientation, what they see are persons in need, and that their only concern is for the patients good care and recovery. I want to thank Acting Chief Justinack for allowing me this opportunity, Assistant Chief May and especially ALL the brave men and women of the greatest fire rescue department in the State of Florida.

1 comment:

  1. For the record, Gregory May is a Lieutenant assigned as a EMS Captain

    ReplyDelete